The Unwind is a discussion about topics related to tech, games, gadgets, and other aspects of geek culture. Rob, Shawn, and Josiah each bring a topic they find important to the show every week.
The Unwind Podcast –
Topic 1 – Sony Event
○ 4K gaming (although it sounds upscaled or something. Need to clarify)
○ Will improve PSVR
○ Will likely upscale older games not made for the PS4 Pro
○ $399 and coming out in November
○ Similar in size to the original PS4
○ Does NOT play 4k Blu Rays. I assume that this can be patched in, but it’s only possible if they use a Blu Ray drive capable of reading dual layer BDs
○ Looks a bit ugly
○ Still unsure if it’ll be THAT much faster. Unlikely to play regular PS4 games at high framerates
○ Have yet to see if this is worth the extra $100
Nice that all PS4s will get HDR support soon.
The Change Up brought to you by Green Man Gaming (use COMMEN-TIST20-GAMING for 20% off!) – Will you buy any of the new consoles?
Topic 2 – Apple Event
○ New internals make it faster
○ Pokemon Go
▪ Note how odd it is that a company partially owned by Google is so intertwined with Apple
○ Same design (debatable if this is a negative) and size
○ No statement on battery life, which implies that it’s no better than last generation
○ Movement away from luxury brand (no gold version, focus on features over celebs and fashionable aspects)
○ Dual Camera (only for 7 Plus)
▪ Adding real time bokeh effect is amazing if it works well
▪ Weird that the bokeh effect won’t be available at launch.
○ IP67 Water resistant
○ MARIO! (not sure if it’s exclusive)
○ Starting storage size is finally 32 GB. Also, all storage sizes above that are doubled
○ Identical design to the 6/6S, which ruins the tick tock cycle. Also, the 10th iPhone is next year. Will it be the 7S?
○ Only slight battery improvements
○ Overall, feels very much like an 6S-S
○ NO HEADPHONE JACK (so much to unpack)
▪ Comes with Lightning Earpods and a 3.5mm to Lightning dongle.
▪ Despite the removal, the iPhone itself is no thinner
• Reminds me of old bluetooth headsets
• Uses bluetooth despite all marketing about “W1” chip
• Sound quality similar to regular Earpods
• Pairs really easily
• 5 hr battery life
• Can switch between Apple devices seamlessly and easily
• Looks easy to lose
Not sure yet
○ Home button isn’t mechanical anymore (it uses Taptic feedback like the Macbook)
○ Retina HD display (why label it HD if you’re not increasing resolution?)
○ Jet Black Color is likely going to be the “must have color” but it scratches easily and only comes in 128 GB and up
Have thoughts about this week’s topics? Let us know in the comments!